10 Things to Know for Friday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- February 6, 2014 - 8:30 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. WHAT PUTIN HOPES OLYMPICS TELL THE WORLD — AND HIS COUNTRYMEN
The celebration at Sochi is designed to spread the message: "Russia is back."
2. CONFIDENTIAL CONVERSATION WINDS UP ON YOUTUBE
U.S. officials suspect Russia of leaking an apparently bugged phone call in which two senior American diplomats disparaged the European Union.
3. WHY US IS SEEING WEATHER EXTREMES
AP's Seth Borenstein says a dip in the jet stream is taking cold polar air south and east and leaving warm, dry weather to the west.
4. HUNDREDS OF DETAINEES FREED IN SYRIA
A suicide bomber attacks a prison gate in the northern city of Aleppo, allowing rebels to storm the facility.
5. FOR DOW, BEST DAY OF THE YEAR
The index jumps nearly 190 points on the eve of a much-anticipated U.S. jobs report.
6. LENO SAYS THERE'S LIFE AFTER 'THE TONIGHT SHOW'
The entertainer, stepping down as a late-night host, plans to continue playing comedy clubs, indulging his passion for cars and doing any other TV work that comes his way.
7. IMMIGRATION OVERHAUL UNRAVELS
Boehner says it will be difficult for the Republican-led House to act on the legislation this election year.
8. NEW GUIDELINES AIM AT PREVENTING STROKES IN WOMEN
The advice from the American Heart Association focuses on pregnancy and other risk factors that women face more than men.
9. WHO REGRETS UNLEASHING DESIGNER DOGS
Australian Wally Conroy, creator of the Labradoodle in the late 1980s, says he never intended to start a canine craze.
10. HALL OF FAMER RALPH KINER DIES AT 91
The slugger played 10 years, mostly with the Pittsburgh Pirates, before becoming a popular broadcaster.
© 2016 Star Tribune