US commander predicts more suicide attacks
- Associated Press
- January 23, 2014 - 9:55 AM
WASHINGTON — The second-ranking U.S. military commander in Afghanistan is predicting more violence like the assault last week on a Kabul restaurant that was the deadliest single attack against foreign civilians in the nearly 13-year war.
Speaking to reporters at the Pentagon via video-teleconference from his headquarters in Kabul, Army Lt. Gen. Mark Milley says the Taliban attack on the Lebanese restaurant that killed 21 civilians was designed to create an atmosphere of fear and insecurity as U.S. and other foreign forces withdraw from the country.
Milley says he expects more of what he called "suicide-type, high-profile spectacular attacks."
He also says Thursday he expects the targets to include civilians as well as Afghan security forces, Afghan government officials and U.S. and other foreign troops.
© 2017 Star Tribune