Running back Adrian Peterson (28) was all smiles after the Vikings beat the Detroit 34-24 Nov.11, 2012.
Jerry Holt, Star Tribune
Vikings' Peterson faces surgery
- Article by: MASTER TESFATSION
- Star Tribune
- January 23, 2014 - 6:35 AM
Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who was hampered by a groin injury late in the season, will have surgery, two outlets reported Wednesday.
ESPN and Fox Sports reported Wednesday that Peterson consulted with Dr. William Meyers in Philadelphia on Wednesday. Meyers performed surgery to repair a sports hernia on Peterson following the 2012 season. Both ESPN and Fox reported Peterson needs surgery and will have it soon, although neither outlet had details of the injury.
• Also on Wednesday, Fox Sports reported former Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray will be the Vikings defensive backs coach on Mike Zimmer’s staff, replacing Joe Woods. Gray, 51, spent three seasons with the Titans as defensive coordinator under the recently fired Mike Munchak.
The Vikings haven’t made any official announcements about their staff under Zimmer, but it is known that Norv Turner will be the offensive coordinator and George Edwards will be the defensive coordinator. Turner’s son, Scott, will be the quarterbacks coach, replacing Craig Johnson. The New York Giants hired Johnson as their new running backs coach Wednesday.
• A source confirmed Wednesday that Vikings offensive line coach Jeff Davidson is likely to remain on Zimmer’s staff.
• The Vikings added defensive tackle Kheeston Randall as a reserve/future free agent. Randall was drafted by Miami in the seventh round in 2012 out of Texas. He was cut before the 2013 season and signed in November by Cincinnati, where he obviously impressed Zimmer.
© 2016 Star Tribune