10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 22, 2014 - 5:05 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SYRIA PEACE TALKS GETTING STARTED IN SWITZERLAND
The world's most powerful diplomats will push for an end to the brutal conflict, but Assad has little reason to offer big concessions.
2. AS IF SNOW, COLD AND CANCELLATIONS AREN'T ENOUGH
The blast of winter weather is sapping fuel supplies in many regions in the U.S. and sending prices for propane and natural gas to record highs.
3. SECURITY ISSUES AT LA AIRPORT BEFORE SHOOTING
AP's Tami Abdollah reports that two armed officers assigned to the area had left for breaks without informing a dispatcher as required, officials say.
4. STANDOFF INTENSIFYING IN UKRAINE
Clashes between protesters and police in Kiev left at least three dead, a grim escalation of the country's two-month-long political crisis.
5. STATE OF EMERGENCY BEGINS IN THAILAND
Gunmen shoot and wound a top leader of a major pro-government movement in northern Thailand, as demonstrators defy a state of emergency.
6. HOW CHILD CAR SEATS MAY HAVE TO CHANGE
AP's Joan Lowy finds that the government wants regulations that would require the seats to protect kids in side-impact crashes.
7. WHY THE LUNAR NEW YEAR IS A HEALTH CONCERN
There's already been a spate of bird flu cases in China, and hundreds of people and birds will jam buses to travel for the holiday.
8. FORMER VIRGINIA GOV. MCDONNELL, WIFE INDICTED
The former GOP rising star is accused of accepting gifts from the owner of a health supplement company, an allegation he denies.
9. ON DRY LAND AT LAST, AFTER BEING TRAPPED ON ICE
The 52 people who got stranded in the Antarctic are back in Australia. What's not clear is who will pay the bill for the rescue involving four countries.
10. NEW VIDEO OF ROB FORD SHOWS HIM SLURRING WORDS
The Toronto mayor, seen apparently imitating a Jamaican accent, later told reporters: "What I do in my personal life with my personal friends, that's up to me."
© 2015 Star Tribune