Senior Bowl blog: Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo in; AJ McCarron out
- Blog Post by: Master Tesfatsion
- January 20, 2014 - 6:54 AM
MOBILE, Ala. -- Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron declined an invitation to the Senior Bowl (more on that later), which allowed Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to receive the final roster spot at the position. He was one of seven East-West Shrine game players to receive a Senior Bowl invitation on Saturday:
- Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo
- West Virginia defensive end Will Clarke
- Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis
- Oklahoma offensive lineman Gabe Ikard
- Lindenwood cornerback Pierre Desir
- Utah State cornerback Nevin Lawson
- Georgia Tech free safety Jamea Thomas
Garoppolo improved his draft stock with an impressive week of practice and went 9 of 14 for 100 yards and a touchdown in the game.
The reason McCarron declined the Senior Bowl invite in his home state? According to one report from a former NFL scout, he already thinks he’s a first round pick.
My sources say AJ McCarron chose not to play in the Senior Bowl (not b/c of the inj) b/c he thinks he's a top 20 pick— John Middlekauff (@JohnMiddlekauff) January 17, 2014
We’ll be in Mobile for most of the week covering Senior Bowl activities.
© 2016 Star Tribune