10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 12, 2014 - 10:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHERE IRAN'S URANIUM ENRICHMENT AGREEMENT COULD LEAD
The deal sets the clock running on a six-month deadline for a final nuclear agreement, officials say.
2. SPILL EXPOSES WEST VIRGINIA DILEMMA
The coal and chemical industries provide good-paying jobs in the state, but also pose risks such as the ongoing drinking water emergency caused by industrial contaminants.
3. SYRIA PEACE TALKS MUST PROCEED, TOP ENVOYS SAY
But diplomacy's limits have been starkly apparent in Syria itself, where activists say rebel-on-rebel clashes have killed nearly 700 people in the deadliest bout of infighting since the civil war began.
4. SUPREME COURT WEIGHS PRESIDENT'S RECESS POWER
The high court is refereeing a dispute between President Obama and Republicans over temporary appointments when the Senate is away.
5.'FIRST AND FOREMOST, A WARRIOR AND A COMMANDER'
Memorializing Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu echoes the feelings of many Israelis.
6. WHY THE SPANISH HEALTH CARE WEB SITE ALSO HAS PROBLEMS
The site was launched more than two months late and critics say the translations are clunky and full of grammatical mistakes.
7. LOSS OF JOBLESS AID LEAVES MORE THAN 1.3 MILLION WITH BLEAK OPTIONS
Without unemployment checks, many will no longer look for a job and some will begin an early and unplanned retirement.
8. HOW US MILITARY IS WORKING TO RETAIN WOMEN IN ITS RANKS
A Navy sabbatical program gives women a year off to care for their children, then return to duty without risking their careers.
9. GOLDEN GLOBES' BEST MOVIE AWARDS
"12 Years a Slave" wins for drama, and con-artist caper "American Hustle" captures the prize for comedy or musical.
10. WHO ADVANCES TO NFL CONFERENCE TITLE GAMES
The 49ers defeated the Carolina Panthers 23-10, while the Denver Broncos topped the Chargers 24-17 to move on.
© 2014 Star Tribune