10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- January 5, 2014 - 8:05 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHERE 'POLAR VORTEX' IS TAKING AIM
The whirlpool of frigid, dense air is ushering in snow and bitter cold across the Midwest and into the Northeast. Temperatures in Fargo, N.D. will drop to 25 below.
2. IRAQ BOMBINGS, FIGHTING KILL 54
The recent gains by insurgents in Anbar province and elsewhere have been a blow to the Shiite-led government — as sectarian violence has escalated since the U.S. withdrawal.
3. KERRY: US WILL SUPPORT IRAQ, BUT NOT WITH TROOPS
"This is a fight that belongs to the Iraqis," the secretary of state said, adding, "We are not contemplating putting boots on the ground."
4. WHAT'S SHAPING CONGRESSIONAL AGENDA
Legislators return to work Monday with election-year politics certain to influence an already limited agenda.
5. SYRIAN REBELS, AL-QAIDA-LINKED FIGHTERS CLASH
The battles have spread to parts of four provinces, pitting an array of moderate and ultraconservative Islamist brigades against the Islamic State of Iraq and an Islamic extremist group referred to as Levant.
6. SOME STATES REPORT 'FRACKING' COMPLAINTS, POLLUTION
Officials in Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia and Texas have received hundreds of reports of contamination from oil or gas drilling, the AP finds.
7. WHO'S WORKING TO PUT AWAY CHILD PREDATORS
Wounded veterans take on a new mission, helping prosecutors fight child abuse and pornography.
8. 'CLICK FARMS' BECOME BIG BUSINESS
For as little as a half cent each click, websites hawk everything from LinkedIn connections to make members appear more employable to Soundcloud plays to influence record label interest.
9. WAVE OF WEARABLE GIZMOS AT CES
Gadget lovers can expect technology companies to roll out more devices that you snap, buckle or fasten to your body this week in Las Vegas at the International Consumer Electronics Show.
10. SIXTH SEEDS WIN NFL WILD-CARD GAMES
The Chargers, Saints and 49ers all claim road victories on wild-card weekend. The Colts won at home in a stunning comeback.
© 2015 Star Tribune