Wis. family mourns dog killed by eating mushrooms
- Associated Press
- January 2, 2014 - 3:55 PM
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. — A Wisconsin family is warning others of the dangers of pet poisoning, after their puppy died from eating mushrooms.
Scott and Jody Erdman told the Leader-Telegram, of Eau Claire, (http://bit.ly/1hXHhx6 ) that their 6-month-old black Labrador retriever, Bosco, disappeared for about 10 minutes during a picnic in the woods on Dec. 21.
Scott Erdman didn't think much of it later that night when Bosco threw up under a table because dogs sometimes do that. But soon Bosco was violently ill, drooling and staggering.
"It was like he was drunk," Scott Erdman said.
The Erdmans and their children, Lola and Hudson, rushed Bosco to a veterinarian, along with a sample of his vomit. Based on that and Bosco's symptoms, he was diagnosed with mushroom poisoning.
"We had never even heard of that," Scott Erdman said.
The animal hospital planned to keep Bosco for a couple of days and flush his system with fluids. Veterinarian Molly Isaacson gave Bosco activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins.
The Erdmans left while Bosco was sleeping but soon received a call to return. The dog died soon after.
"We never expected that," Jody Erdman said. "They gave (him) a pretty good prognosis and expected pretty much a full recovery."
Michael Beug, a mushroom expert with the North American Mycological Association, later identified the mushroom Bosco ate as Amanita pantherina. Beug told Jody Erdman in an email that dogs are often attracted to that mushroom.
"Adult dogs usually survive eating this particular Amanita, but your puppy was more sensitive due to a very young age, and a lot of mushroom was consumed," Beug wrote.
The Erdmans urged other pet owners to act fast if they notice symptoms of what could be mushroom poisoning. Jody Erdman said it was a good idea to take photographs and samples of vomit to a veterinarian for identification.
"It's never easy losing a dog, but losing one at his age is extremely hard," Scott Erdman said.
© 2014 Star Tribune