Final gun report: Bengals 42, Vikings 14
- Blog Post by: Master Tesfatsion
- December 22, 2013 - 3:07 PM
The Vikings won’t get that road win head coach Leslie Frazier was hoping for. The Bengals defeated the Vikings 42-14 to finish this season winless on the road (0-6-1). They drop to 4-10-1 with season finale against the Lions next week. The Bengals (10-5) clinched a playoff spot with the Dolphins’ 19-0 loss to the Bills. Here are five things from Sunday’s ugly performance:
- The Matt Cassel express came to a screeching halt. Three turnovers in the first half, including a fumble in the game’s opening possession and a pick-six to linebacker Vincent Rey. Cassel was 13 of 27 for 114 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions. The Vikings went 0 for 9 on third down and 0 for 2 on fourth down. They finished with 10 first downs first downs.
- Meanwhile, the Bengals had 24 first downs. Quarterback Andy Dalton hardly felt pressure from the Vikings defensive line. The Vikings defensive line recorded two sacks, but it was about all it could do. Dalton had the quickest release heading into this game, but there were moments where Dalton could take his time in a comfortable pocket created by his offensive line. He went 27 of 38 for 366 yards and four touchdowns.
- Dalton picked on cornerback Chris Cook, who didn’t start. Shaun Prater got the nod over Cook, but he was briefly out with an ankle injury. Cook covered wide receiver A.J. Green on both of his touchdown receptions. Green had seven catches for 97 yards.
- Wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson remains a bright spot however. He averaged 35.8 yards on four kickoff returns, but the offense failed to capitalize on the good field position. He had just three catches for eight yards but much effective rushing with three carries for 54 yards, including an 35-yard touchdown run.
- The Vikings have now secured at worst the ninth pick in the 2014 NFL Draft with one game left. They entered this game with the eighth overall selection and a Giants win over the Lions would ensure a top eight pick. More on draft scenarios on Tuesday.
© 2015 Star Tribune