Wolves looking to win at Memphis tonight for first time since 2009
- Blog Post by: Jerry Zgoda
- December 15, 2013 - 5:09 PM
The Wolves are about to tip off in Memphis to start their eighth set already of back-to-back games, meeting the Grizzlies tonight at FedEx Forum before playing at Boston on Monday.
They haven't fared well here in Memphis in recent years, having lost eight straight here dating to Jan. 6, 2009, and 11 in a row overall.
Tonight they might just have a fighting chance: The Grizzlies aren't nearly as physical a defensive team without center Marc Gasol, who's missed eight games and counting because of a strained knee ligament.
They've struggled without him and now are 10-12 overall and are 5-8 at home this season after going 32-9 in Memphis last season.
There's all kinds of Minnesota connections on this Grizzlies team as well:
* First-year head coach Dave Joerger is from Staples, Minn.
* Orono's own Jon Leuer has emerged as the stretch '4' power forward Joerger has turned to in Gasol's absence to open the floor for Zach Randolph. He's averaging 16 points a game off the bench in the time Gasol's been out.
* Former Wolves center Kosta Koufos starts now and former Wolves guard Mike Miller comes off the bench
* And former Wolves player development coach Shawn Respert is now a Memphis assistant.
© 2015 Star Tribune