Scouting report: Philadelphia Eagles
- December 11, 2013 - 9:32 PM
ABOUT THE EAGLES RECORD: 8-5
• The Eagles have a one-game lead over the Cowboys in the NFC East and hold the third seed in the playoffs.
• Philadelphia became the 14th team in NFL history to record 10 games of 400 or more total yards in a season.
• The Eagles are the only team in the NFL to hold opponents to 21 points or fewer in each of their past nine games.
• Running back LeSean McCoy set a franchise record with 217 rushing yards last week against the Lions. He leads the NFL with 1,305 rushing yards.
• The Eagles became the first team in the NFL this season with a 1,000-yard rusher and a 1,000-yard receiver (DeSean Jackson).
• Philadelphia’s defense has five takeaways in the red zone, second in the NFL. It’s sixth in the NFL in turnover differential (plus-9).
PLAYER SPEAK QB NICK FOLES
The second-year QB leads the NFL in passer rating this season (120.0). He finished November with a 152.8 QB rating, the highest monthly rating in NFL history. Foles was the second quarterback in NFL history to begin a season with 19 touchdown passes without an interception. He threw his first interception last week against the Lions.
• On coach Chip Kelly: “He really has a huge impact on us when he speaks or how he does things. He really cares about us, and you really go out and play for a guy like that.”
• On his growth: “I think just running the offense I’m getting more comfortable day to day and that just goes with working on the fundamentals and fine-tuning everything and working on the craft every single day I go out there.”
COACH SPEAK CHIP KELLY
The 50-year-old Kelly is in his first season as an NFL head coach, coming from the University of Oregon, where he was 46-7 in four years.
• On leading the NFC East: “We’re on a one-week season. That’s how we approach it. Our focus and attention are totally on the Minnesota Vikings. Standings don’t mean anything until the end of the year. We haven’t talked about it.”
• On conditions last week: “Obviously your game plan changed because of the conditions, but our guys really embraced [the snow]. They loved playing in that. Our guys had a lot of fun.”
• On people doubting the system early in the season: “I don’t think anybody in this building wrote us off and those are the only people that count to us, so we didn’t pay attention to any of the outside noise.”
© 2014 Star Tribune