Dolphins assistant defends Philbin in scandal
- Article by: STEVEN WINE
- Associated Press
- November 25, 2013 - 2:15 PM
DAVIE, Fla. — Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle defended the management style of coach Joe Philbin in the wake of the team's bullying scandal.
Coyle said Monday he was happy to talk with an NFL special investigator who spent last week questioning coaches, players and others in the organization.
"When you know what you're doing is right, and how you're doing it is as good as what I believe anybody in this league does — and I believe that's how we do things here and how we operate here — then there's no reason not to be able to tell whoever exactly what you're all about, and what the organization is all about," Coyle said. "I'm happy to talk to anybody, because I think coach Philbin and we do things better than most people in any sport."
Attorney Ted Wells is investigating allegations by tackle Jonathan Martin that he was harassed daily by teammates, including guard Richie Incognito. Wells will determine the role of Philbin, his staff and management in the scandal.
One issue is whether anyone on the coaching staff ordered Incognito to toughen up Martin, who became a starter as a rookie last year but played poorly at times. Martin left the Dolphins on Oct. 28, and Incognito was suspended Nov. 3.
Martin will likely be interviewed a second time by NFL special investigator Ted Wells about the team's bullying scandal, said a person familiar with the situation. The second interview will likely be in New York City or California the first week in December, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details about the investigation are confidential.
Offensive coordinator Mike Sherman declined to discuss his interview with Wells.
"I'm going to save those comments until the investigation is over, and I'll answer any question you want — any question," Sherman said. "I will have plenty to say at that point."
© 2016 Star Tribune