ADVERTISEMENT

Carbon monoxide causes apartment evacuation

  • Associated Press
  • November 19, 2013 - 7:25 AM

DE PERE, Wis. — An apartment building in De Pere is evacuated because of carbon monoxide.

Fire officials say at least 30 people were forced from their homes about 9 p.m. Monday after some tenants were found to be suffering from symptoms of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Two people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

Authorities say a monitor found the CO level in the apartment building above 300 parts per million. Firefighters use breathing equipment when the CO level reaches 200 parts per million.

WBAY-TV (http://bit.ly/1cETaV9 ) reports fire officials say a natural gas heating unit in a storage area was the source of the carbon monoxide. Residents were allowed back home after the building was ventilated for about an hour.

© 2014 Star Tribune