Chart: Some Joe Mauer facts and figures
- November 11, 2013 - 10:55 PM
• Joe Mauer leads active major leaguers with a .323 batting average. Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera are next at .321.
• Mauer was the 2009 American League Most Valuable Player when he hit .365 with 28 home runs and 96 RBI in 138 games and won one of his three Gold Gloves as the best-fielding catcher in the league.
• He is one of four catchers in major league history to win a battle title, and he has three. The others were Buster Posey of the Giants (2012), Ernie Lombardi of the Reds (1938, 1942) and Bubbles Hargrave of the Reds (1926). Mauer was runner-up to Cabrera last season (.348-.324).
• At 6-5, Mauer was the tallest everyday catcher in major league baseball history.
• His salary ($23 million per season) is 18th highest in history.
• Mauer caught 920 games, eighth most among active catchers. Former Twin A.J. Pierzynski, 36, leads with 1,678. Ivan Rodriguez holds the all-time record at 2,427.
• His .995 fielding percentage as a catcher is fourth best all-time. He’s tied for second with Pierzynski among active players; Chris Snyder (.998) is the leader. Mauer caught base stealers at a .332 percentage, 12th best among active players.
• Mauer has been an All-Star six times and a Silver Slugger winner as best-hitting AL catcher five times.
© 2015 Star Tribune