ADVERTISEMENT

Correction: Yemen story

  • Associated Press
  • November 9, 2013 - 8:30 AM

SANAA, Yemen — In a story Nov. 8 about suspected al-Qaida militants being killed in Yemen, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Yemen's Interior Ministry said they were killed in drone strikes. The ministry described the attacks as air strikes.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Yemen: 5 al-Qaida suspects killed in air strikes

Yemen's Interior Ministry says 5 suspected al-Qaida fighters killed in 2 air strikes

By AHMED AL-HAJ

Associated Press

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Air strikes in southern Yemen killed five suspected al-Qaida militants, the country's interior ministry said Friday, as fighting between rebels and ultraconservative Sunnis raged on in the north.

Two strikes killed the suspects Thursday in Abyan province, while a third left no casualties, the ministry said.

Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, which is based in Yemen, is considered by the U.S. to be the most dangerous offshoot of the terror organization in the world.

Yemen's military waged a wide offensive against the group last year, driving militants out of their strongholds in southern Yemen. Since then, the group has carried retaliatory attacks and the U.S. has launched dozens of drone strikes targeting suspected members.

Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi faces multiple challenges after the ouster of longtime President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who stepped down after year-long protests. While struggling with al-Qaida in the south and a southern separatist movement, the government also faces turmoil in its restive northern region.

Security officials said Friday that sectarian clashes between rebels and ultraconservative Sunnis killed two people in recent fighting, the latest deaths in ongoing clashes that left dozens dead over the past 10 days.

Shiite rebels known as Hawthis have been fighting ultraconservative Salafis and jihadists in the city of Damaj in the northern Saada province. Security officials said Friday that 12 people also were injured in the last two days.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.

Serour al-Wadie, a spokesman of the Salafi movement, said Hawthis used mortars and rocket-propelled grenades in an attack Friday on a mosque in Damaj.

Earlier this week, Hadi warned of sectarian strife and urged both sides to stop the violence in remarks aired on state television.

© 2014 Star Tribune