Recipe: Harvest Salad With Turkey and Apples
- November 6, 2013 - 1:40 PM
HARVEST SALAD WITH TURKEY, APPLES AND CHEDDAR √
Note: Crispy, sweet apples and a low-fat creamy dressing makes this salad a family favorite, especially with younger diners. The salad is tossed with just half of the dressing, to keep the lettuce from getting too drenched, and the rest is served on the side for those who want a bit more. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1/3 c. low-fat mayonnaise
• 1/3 c. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
• 1/4 c. reduced-fat sour cream
• 2 green onions, finely chopped
• 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp. whole-grain Dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp. honey, plus more to taste
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• Black pepper to taste
• 1/4 c. chopped walnuts
• 4 c. baby spinach, or torn spinach leaves
• 4 c. torn Boston lettuce
• 3/4 lb. shredded roasted turkey breast
• 2 apples, preferably Fuji, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1/2 c. mild Cheddar, cut into matchsticks
To prepare dressing: Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, green onion, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and black pepper in a bowl until well blended.
For the salad: Toast walnuts in dry saucepan over low heat until fragrant; cool.
Combine spinach and Boston lettuce in a large bowl; toss gently to mix. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat lightly. Divide the greens among 6 plates and top with turkey, apples, cheese and walnuts. Serve immediately with remaining dressing on the side.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 212 Fat 8 g Sodium 380 mg Sat. fat 3 g
Carbohydrates 12 g Calcium 115 mg
Protein 22 g Chol 61 mg Dietary fiber 2 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 2½ fat.
© 2014 Star Tribune