Williams returns to practice; no starting QB named
- Blog Post by: Joe Christensen
- October 30, 2013 - 7:32 PM
Some quick notes from tonight's practice:
* Rodrick Williams (turf toe) and Derrick Wells (injured shoulder) both participated in Wednesday's practice. Acting head coach Tracy Claeys said their availability for Saturday's game will be determined later in the week.
* Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said the team won't pick a starting quarterback between Mitch Leidner and Philip Nelson until after Thursday's practice.
"The big thing is Mitch started the last two weeks, but Philip knew he was going to play, and Philip came in and took great advantage of the reps he got," Limegrover said. "So we may flip it, we may keep it exactly the same.
"I think everybody in the entire greater Twin Cities metropolitan area cares more about our starting quarterback than me and Coach [Jerry] Kill and [quarterbacks coach Jim Zerbrowski. We’ve got two good ones, and I think it’s unfair to say we’re going to go with one guy the whole way. We like them both."
* Kill was at practice and took questions from reporters again. He looked and sounded great. He plans to coach from the coaching booth again Saturday at Indiana.
"The bottom line is we’ve won back-to-back games, and I’m smart enough to know, let’s not upset the apple cart," he said. "Let’s keep doing what we’re doing and we’ll be fine.
"It’s great for me because I get to be around kids more, and I’m doing a heck of a lot of recruiting. When I get done here, I’ve got about five or six calls tonight. Because that’s the biggest thing; we’ve got to let the recruits know I’m alright.
"But that’s been great. Through all the adversity, we’re moving forward. And sometimes adversity determines what kind of person you are, and what kind of people you have. And we’ve got a long way to go, there’s no question about that, but we’re on the right track."
© 2017 Star Tribune