10 Things to Know for Today
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- October 21, 2013 - 7:00 AM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. SAME-SEX COUPLES EXCHANGE VOWS IN NEW JERSEY
U.S. Senator-elect and Newark Mayor Cory Booker presides over ceremonies in Newark as the Garden State becomes the 14th to recognize gay marriage.
2. WHY FRANCE HAS SUMMONED THE US AMBASSADOR
The U.S. swept up 70.3 million French telephone records in a 30-day period, according to a newspaper report that offers new revelations about a controversial NSA surveillance operation.
3. HURRICANE RAYMOND GAINS STRENGTH
Mexico's already soaked Pacific coast braces for heavy rains a month after Tropical Storm Manuel caused widespread damage.
4. WHERE POISONINGS ARE BLAMED ON PESTICIDES
"We've gone from a pretty healthy population to one with a high rate of cancer, birth defects, and illnesses seldom seen before," says a doctor in Argentina.
5. WHOSE NEGLECT LIES HIDDEN
The AP's "Old World" series looks at the growing cohort of elderly people across the world who live — and increasingly die — unseen and unheard, left to fend for themselves.
6. CONTAMINATED BREAST MILK PROMPTS WARNING
Researchers find high amounts of bacteria that could sicken babies in three-fourths of the 101 samples they bought online.
7. 15% OF AMERICANS AGE 16-24 ARE IDLE
Six million young people are neither in school nor working, a study finds.
8. ISRAEL-U.S. RIFT OVER IRAN WIDENS
Israel's prime minister calls for continued pressure on Iran for its suspected nuclear program, even as American officials weigh easing economic sanctions.
9. HOW CAROL BURNETT GOT THE LAST LAUGH
Burnett, who just won the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, says a TV executive once told her that variety shows like hers were "a man's game."
10. COLTS THROW HOMECOMING FOR PEYTON
Indianapolis rolls out the red carpet for Manning in his first return leading Denver's offense, then the Colts hand him a defeat.
© 2014 Star Tribune