Prep football roundup: Classic Suburban finishes in three-way tie for title, as does Minnesota River
- October 17, 2013 - 12:43 AM
Classic Suburban finishes in three-way tie for title, as does Minnesota River
• ST. THOMAS ACADEMY 35, SOUTH ST. PAUL 28: The Cadets scored 21 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to rally for the victory and a share of the final Classic Suburban Conference title.
The Cadets’ victory — and Tartan’s 40-21 victory over North St. Paul — created a three-way tie for first place among those two winners and the Packers.
Mario Bognanno’s 3-yard TD run with 2:06 left broke a 28-28 tie. Carter Vanasek rushed for 103 yards and the Cadets’ first TD of the fourth quarter.
• TRI-CITY UNITED 25, BELLE PLAINE 13: The Titans, ranked No. 6 in Class 3A, held on to defeat Belle Plaine, the top-ranked team in Class 3A, and claim a share of the Minnesota River Conference title. The Titans’ victory — coupled with Watertown-Mayer’s 35-21 victory over Jordan — created a three-way tie for first place among those two winners and Belle Plaine.
Tri-City’s Pat Lloyd intercepted a pass midway through the fourth quarter. Tri-City responded with an 82-yard TD drive — with John Christian rushing for 51 yards — to take a 25-13 lead. Christian finished with 168 yards and four TDs.
• EDEN PRAIRIE 37, HOPKINS 0: The Eagles, ranked No. 1 in the Star Tribune Metro top 10 and in Class 6A, rolled to 455 yards of offense in their rout of the Royals.
• MAPLE GROVE 34, CHAMPLIN PARK 7: Clark Wieneke rushed for 114 yards and two TDs and Ryan Brochhausen returned a blocked punt for a TD to lead the Crimson, ranked No. 2 in the metro.
• PRIOR LAKE 42, BURNSVILLE 12: Alex Hart rushed for four TDs to lead the Lakers, ranked No. 8 in the metro, past the Blaze.
• WAYZATA 35, MINNETONKA 14: Jake Marsh threw three TD passes to lead the Trojans, ranked No. 10 in the metro, to the victory in the Battle for the Bay Bell.
• CHISAGO LAKES 52, ST. FRANCIS 50: Mitch Berg’s TD pass to Michael Dunne with 68 seconds to play rallied the Wildcats, ranked No. 10 in Class 5A, past St. Francis. Max Gust rushed for 247 yards and two TDs for the Saints.
• DELASALLE 62, MINNEHAHA ACADEMY 35: Billy Hart passed for 471 yards and seven TDs and rushed for two TDs to lead the Islanders, ranked No. 6 in Class 4A, past the Redhawks. Hart completed 18 of 23 passes.
• HUTCHINSON 47, MOUND-WESTONKA 0: The Tigers, ranked No. 1 in Class 4A, built a 41-0 halftime lead en route to their 21st consecutive victory.
• GLENCOE-SILVER LAKE 49, DASSEL-COKATO 19: Keaton Anderson rushed for 157 yards and two TDs and Jake Stuedeman rushed for 122 yards and two TDs as the Panthers, No. 4 in Class 3A, ran past the host Chargers. The Panthers rushed for 433 yards.
• MINNEAPOLIS WASHBURN 33, MINNEAPOLIS HENRY 21: Jeff Jones rushed for 209 yards and five TDs as the Millers secured the Minneapolis City Conference title. Jones moved into the top 10 in state history for rushing TDs in a season with 32, tying him for ninth place.
• ANNANDALE 42, LITCHFIELD 27: Riley Atkinson passed for 308 yards and four TDs to lead the Cardinals past the Dragons.
• APPLE VALLEY 28, EAGAN 7: Da’Shawn Lewis rushed for 205 yards and four TDs to spark the Eagles.
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET’S 31, SPRING LAKE PARK 28: John Lager caught an 11-yard TD pass from Keaton Studsrud with 69 seconds left to give the Red Knights the victory.
• BLAKE 42, ST. PAUL ACADEMY 28: Marcus Berg rushed for 311 yards in 15 carries to lead the Bears to the victory.
• BUFFALO 47, DULUTH EAST 8: Hunter Thompson rushed for 194 yards and three TDs to fuel the Bison’s victory.
• NORTHFIELD 41, HOLY ANGELS 9: Preston Robinson returned a kickoff 85 yards for a TD and rushed for 172 yards to highlight Northfield’s victory.
• NORWOOD-YOUNG AMERICA 35, LESUEUR- HENDERSON 20: Noah Peterson rushed for 287 yards and four TDs to pace the Raiders.
© 2016 Star Tribune