Carlos Gomez was looking for a confrontation after hitting a home run, and he got one when Brian McCann blocked his path home.
JOHN BAZEMORE • Associated Press,
Sunday Insider: The 3-2 pitch
- September 28, 2013 - 4:58 PM
Three observations …
• Carlos Gomez has been known to get a little crazy at times. But his behavior on Wednesday, when the Brewers outfielder screamed at the Braves after hitting a home run, was extreme even for him.
• I still want to know why Atlanta’s Brian McCann wasn’t ejected and suspended for blocking Gomez on the way to home plate and basically igniting a benches-clearing incident just because he wanted to call out Gomez.
• Michael Cuddyer, batting champion. He enters the final day of the season with the NL lead, and I never viewed him as someone who would hit for a high average.
... and two predictions
• The Yankees will let Robinson Cano walk as a free agent, and he will walk across the country to the National League and sign with the Dodgers.
• Florida’s Jose Fernandez will win the 2014 Cy Young.
© 2013 Star Tribune