Motorcyclist killed in St. Anthony crash; rider death toll surpasses all of 2012
- September 27, 2013 - 9:24 PM
A man died in a motorcycle crash late Thursday in St. Anthony in a year that has seen more cyclists killed in Minnesota in the first nine months than in all of 2012.
The latest fatality occurred shortly before midnight Thursday, according to police, when a 44-year-old motorcyclist lost control on Kenzie Terrace near Stinson Boulevard. The Twin Cities man’s identity has not been released.
The motorcyclist was heading east on Kenzie Terrace and approaching an apartment construction area, where barricades were in place and traffic was reduced to one lane, said police Lt. Jeff Scholl. The rider struck some of the traffic cones, went over the median’s curb and crashed.
Scholl said the motorcyclist was wearing a helmet and doesn’t appear to have been speeding.
There have been at least 57 fatalities among motorcycle riders this year in Minnesota, according to the state Department of Public Safety. That’s two more than all of last year and the most since 2008, when there were 72.
The all-time high is 121 rider fatalities in 1980.
© 2013 Star Tribune