Chart: Jim Petersen at a glance
- September 17, 2013 - 11:14 PM
• Former St. Louis Park High standout basketball player who took the Orioles to three state tournaments.
• Originally signed to play at Duke before coach Bill Foster left and was replaced by Mike Krzyzewski. “Coach K came here, to the Thunderbird Hotel, to ask me to honor my letter of intent,” Petersen said. “I said no, I was going to stay at the University of Minnesota. I always think about that. That’s the only thing I can look back on and say, ‘What if?’ ”
• Played eight seasons in the NBA with Houston, Sacramento and Golden State. He played before the truly big-money era of the league but still made more than $5 million in his career, according to salary information on basketball-reference.com. That allowed him to be patient as he figured out a post-playing career profession.
• Was hired as a Lynx assistant coach before the 2009 season and is about to enter his 16th season working on Wolves broadcasts.
• Petersen met his wife, Tika, shortly after moving back to Minnesota in 1998. They live in Wayzata. Sanjay Lumpkin, Petersen’s stepson, is a basketball player at Northwestern.
© 2013 Star Tribune