Postgame: Thoughts on ninth inning, Pelfrey and Florimon
- Blog Post by: La Velle E. Neal III
- September 7, 2013 - 12:03 AM
Here are three thoughts following the Twins' 6-5 loss to Toronto on Friday:
1. THE FINAL PLAY: Let's look at the two things that went against the Twins in the ninth inning on Friday. One, Ryan Doumit struck out despite getting pitches where he can do damage. Cutters down and in are pitches Doumit can hammer, but he missed a couple of them during his at-bat. Ryan Presley took off for second as Doumit waited for what turned out to be the final pitch of the game. Blue Jays pitcher Casey Janssen is not fast to the plate. In fact, he can be stolen on. So there were some surprised Twins when Presley was thrown out to end the game. Either he got a bad jump or something happened on the way to the bag, because Presley was supposed to be standing on second with Brian Dozier at the plate.
2. PELFREY'S NIGHT: Mike Pelfrey has told the Twins that he wants to come back next season. ``It is in their hands and we will see what happens. Until then, I will take the ball every fifth day and do the best I can and continue to try to get people out.'' Pelfrey's stuff was good once again on Friday but he had one inning when it went haywire and it cost him. He also threw a wild pitch in the first inning when he screwed up a sign to hold the ball. ``You'd think in September I'd know all the signs.'' I sense that the Twins wouldn't mind bringing Pelfrey back as he heads into a normal offseason and second year removed from Tommy John surgery. It doesn't seem unreasonable, if the price is right.
3. FLORIMON: Committing an error on the first play of the game suggests that Florimon wasn't ready for the first pitch. But we have to remember that Jose Reyes is running, which likely led to Florimon trying to hurry up to make a play and misplaying the ball. But Florimon committed a throwing error later in the game. He now has 15 on the season. Florimon is still fifth among all shortstops in UZR - but he used to be second.
3A. ROCHESTER LOSES: Class AAA Rochester lost to Pawtucket on Friday and now trail 1-2 in the best of five International League playoff series. If they lose tomorrow, expect several Red Wings to jet to the Twin Cities on Sunday to join the club for the rest of the season.
© 2016 Star Tribune