IndyCar driver Dixon fined, placed on probation
- Associated Press
- September 6, 2013 - 3:20 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — IndyCar fined Scott Dixon $30,000 on Friday and placed him on probation through the end of the year for disparaging comments after the Grand Prix of Baltimore.
Last week in Baltimore, Dixon called for race director Beaux Barfield to be fired following a second consecutive frustrating race that affected his championship chances.
Earlier this week, the New Zealand driver said he expected to be fined.
"Reflecting on it, I shouldn't have been so outspoken and I probably will be fined for it and I respect that," Dixon told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "It was just frustration of a two-week period. For me, I love the sport, I want to see it better and what I did didn't help. My concern is not making things look bad for the series. I love my job and don't want to be doing anything else, and I don't want it to be perceived otherwise. I want to learn from the mistakes we've made."
Dixon was penalized in Sonoma the previous week when his car made contact with a crew member for Will Power, series leader Helio Castroneves' teammate, on the final pit stop.
Barfield said Dixon had driven into the Penske Racing work space, but Dixon alleged the crew member walked into his car. The penalty cost Dixon a chance to race for the win, and opinion was split through the paddock as to who was at fault and if race control perhaps should have not penalized anyone.
At Baltimore, Dixon was angered when officials ignored a Chip Ganassi Racing request to tow his car back to pit lane so his team could attempt to repair it following an accident with Will Power with 22 laps remaining.
Dixon finished 19th and lost more ground to Castroneves in the championship race. Dixon is 49 points behind Castroneves with three races remaining.
© 2016 Star Tribune