10 Things to Know for Wednesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- September 3, 2013 - 8:20 PM
1. KEY SENATORS REACH DEAL ON USING FORCE AGAINST SYRIA
The resolution would bar U.S. ground troops from combat operations and sets a deadline for any action.
2. DAMASCUS REGIME ACCUSED OF HIDING EQUIPMENT, MOVING TROOPS
The main Western-backed opposition group says the army moved soldiers and heavy weapons into residential areas.
3. EGYPT'S INTERIM PRESIDENT DEFENDS MORSI'S OUSTER
Adly Mansour says the toppled leader failed to deliver on campaign promises and was forced out by the will of people.
4. WHERE NATIONAL GUARD WON'T OFFER SAME-SEX BENEFITS
Maj. Gen. John Nichols, the commanding general of the Texas military forces, sends a letter saying the state Constitution defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
5. REPS FOR NAACP, KKK MEET IN WYOMING
A meeting believed to be the first of its kind was called to open dialogue after reports KKK literature was being distributed and African-American men were being beaten.
6. NJ GOVERNOR IRKED BY 'FROLICKING' COMMENT
Chris Christie says State Sen. Barbara Buono mocked his weight with her 'derisive' characterization of his appearance at the beach in ads promoting the Jersey Shore.
7. DIANA NYAD STRONGER THAN THE NORM
The first person to swim 110 miles from Cuba to Florida without a shark cage says she is "dead center in the prime of my life" at age 64.
8. MY KINGDOM FOR A DEWORMING PILL
Researchers who exhumed the skeleton of Richard III suspect he was plagued by parasitic worms after finding numerous roundworm eggs near where his intestines would have been.
9. WHY GERALDO RIVERA WAS STRIPPED FROM PANEL
Duquesne University says the half-naked cellphone picture the TV personality posted on Twitter is not in line with the school's values.
10. WHO'S RETURNING TO "AMERICAN IDOL"
After a year off, Jennifer Lopez will be back behind the judges' table along with Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban; Randy Jackson takes on new mentor role.
© 2017 Star Tribune