10 Things to Know for Tuesday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- August 26, 2013 - 8:20 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. KERRY SAYS ATTACK IN SYRIA "SHOULD SHOCK THE WORLD"
The secretary of state says there is "undeniable" evidence of a large-scale chemical weapons attack.
2. U.N. EXPERTS VISIT PURPORTED ATTACK SITE
A U.N. convoy dodges sniper fire on the way to collect samples and testimony from doctors and victims of the alleged chemical weapons attack.
3. WHO WANTS TO MAKE A DEAL IN EGYPT
Two former militant groups offer to end street protests if the military eases its pressure on Islamists after the worst bout of violence the country has seen.
4. WHAT CONSERVATIVES WANT FROM GOP LEADER
A group launches a radio ad challenging Sen. Mitch McConnell to refuse to fund President Obama's health care law even if it means a government shutdown.
5. NEARLY 3,700 FIREFIGHTERS BATTLE CALIFORNIA BLAZE
The fire in Yosemite National Park rains ash on the reservoir that is the chief source of San Francisco's famously pure drinking water.
6. TEXAS MEGACHURCH MEMBERS GET MEASLES
At least 21 cases are linked to the house of worship; vaccination clinics are in place, which the pastor says to use unless 'you've got this covered ... by faith."
7. PRESIDENT OBAMA HONORS AFGHANISTAN WAR VETERAN
The president bestowed the Medal of Honor on Army Staff Sgt. Ty Carter for risking his life to save an injured soldier during intense fighting.
8. WHAT NJ CASINOS HOPE WILL END THEIR LOSING STREAK
The strip club Scores is opening a satellite inside the Trump Taj Mahal Casino — the first 'gentlemen's club' inside an Atlantic City casino in 35 years of legal gambling.
9. KATE GOSSELIN SUES OVER TELL-ALL BOOK
The former reality TV star accuses her ex-husband of stealing her hard drive and hacking her phone and computer.
10. VENUS WILLIAMS PULLS OFF UPSET AT U.S. OPEN
The seven-time major champ, ranked No. 60, defeated Wimbledon semifinalist Kirsten Flipkens.
© 2013 Star Tribune