President Richard M. Nixon at the White House, 1969.
., Associated Press
Richard Nixon is back in the news
- Article by: CHRIS CILLIZZA
- Washington Post
- August 26, 2013 - 7:17 PM
Richard Nixon died almost 20 years ago. But the former president was back in the news, and not in a good way, this past week with the release of the final installment of the secret recordings he made of his phone calls and personal conversations.
This last batch of Nixon recordings — 340 hours of audio, 140,000 pages of documents — covers April 9, 1973, to July 12, 1973, the day before the existence of the secret taping system was revealed to the Senate committee investigating the Watergate break-in. In the tapes, Nixon is characteristically blunt and often veers into his now well-known anti-Semitism and racism.
• Nixon on judicial nominees: “No Jews. Is that clear? We’ve got enough Jews. Now if you find some Jew that I think is great, put him on there.”
• Nixon on Jamaica: “Blacks can’t run it. Nowhere, and they won’t be able to for a hundred years, and maybe not for a thousand. … Do you know, maybe, one black country that’s well-run?”
• Nixon on Watergate: “We’ve got to survive it! Good God, who the hell else can talk to [Soviet leader Leonid] Brezhnev?”
Richard Nixon, for having your last chance at a bit of historical redemption come and go, you had the worst week in Washington last week. Congrats or something.
© 2016 Star Tribune