10 Things to Know for Monday
- Article by: The Associated Press
- Associated Press
- August 25, 2013 - 10:30 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHO AGREES TO UN PROBE INTO CHEMICAL WEAPONS USE
Syria OKs investigation into last week's alleged toxic gas attack outside Damascus, as calls for U.S. military action grow.
2. 'WHY ARE WE PROVIDING GOVERNMENT PENSIONS TO THESE PRIVATE ORGANIZATIONS?'
An AP review finds hundreds of lobbyists in at least 20 states receive public pensions because they represent associations of counties, cities and school boards.
3. EGYPTIAN COURTS HEAR 'TRIAL OF THE TWO REGIMES'
Separate cases against Mubarak and top leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood — both over allegations of killing protesters — are underway.
4. ATTACKS IN IRAQ KILL AT LEAST 46
Insurgents strike a coffee shop, a wedding party convoy and a carload of off-duty soldiers in numerous attacks across the country.
5. OVERHAULING INDIAN TRIBE RECOGNITION RULES
Proposed federal rule changes could bolster tribes' claims to surrounding land and open the door to more casinos.
6. CALIF. CITY TRIES EASING MORTGAGES BY SEIZING LOANS
Richmond faces a legal battle over its plan to use eminent domain to seize mortgages from financial institutions.
7. 'IN SOME WAYS WE FEEL LIKE THE STORM WAS YESTERDAY'
Two summers after Hurricane Irene dropped up to 11 inches of rain on parts of Vermont, the state's farmers struggle to get back on their feet.
8. WHAT COULD TURN 'SUPER BOWL' INTO 'STORM BOWL'
The Farmers' Almanac predicts a "piercing cold" winter, with a blizzard forecast to hit the Northeast in time for the NFL championship at open-air MetLife Stadium in N.J.
9. TIMBERLAKE HAS BIG NIGHT AT MTV VMAs
Justin Timberlake wins video of the year moonman trophy for "Mirrors" at the MTV Video Music Awards.
10. NADAL TAKES 10-MATCH WINNING STREAK INTO US OPEN
The 12-time major champion is second-seeded for the tournament, but says his troublesome knee still gives him some pain.
© 2017 Star Tribune