Gophers notes: Limegrover talks about Andre McDonald and Chris Streveler
- Blog Post by: Joe Christensen
- August 21, 2013 - 4:05 PM
Opening Night is one week from tomorrow. Here are some quick notes from Wednesday's practice:
* WR Derrick Engel (groin injury) hasn’t been cleared for contact, but he went through some individual drills today.
* WR Drew Wolitarsky (hamstring injury) has been back at practice the past two days, but the freshman has some catching up to do.
* Asked if the game plan changes with Andre McDonald out (violation of team rules), offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said, “Not really because, to be honest with you, Andre had a lot of work that he needed to do to really be a force for us. He would have had that opportunity, had he been able to stick around. But you know, we’re really starting to get comfortable with five or six [receivers], and I think those guys are feeling good.
“Other than maybe getting nicked up a little bit here or there in practice, I think we’re going to be healthy and we’re going to have a pretty good group.”
* CB Marcus Jones, who has fully recovered from a second ACL surgery in his knee, will be one of the players returning kicks and/or punts this year.
“You always go back to trust factor, and Marcus has [returned kicks] in a game,” Coach Jerry Kill said. “So I can tell you he will be a part of the mix. He’s has experience and you can’t replace experience.”
* Limegrover on reserve quarterback Chris Streveler: “It’s like that light bulb’s come on, kind of like what happened with [Philip Nelson] about Week 3 of fall camp [last year]. [Streveler] went through the spring, had his ups and downs. Early part of camp, wasn’t really feeling comfortable and all of a sudden, the light bulb went on. We’re pretty excited and pretty encouraged about Chris, especially the last four or five days.”
© 2016 Star Tribune