Rayno: Travis drops football; other college recruiting notes
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- August 15, 2013 - 12:59 PM
Per the new usual, there has been a lot going on in the world of Minnesota recruiting in the last several days. A few notes on some of what has been going on:
First and foremost, it appears DeLaSalle's Reid Travis has decided to drop football in favor of focusing on basketball.
I still haven't heard from Travis himself, but our Jim Paulsen spoke with the power forward's father, Nate Travis, who spoke a little about the decision:
“He’s going to use the time to take his college visits," Travis said. "It wasn’t an easy decision, but we felt that football would have interfered with that. It wasn’t fair to the [football] team.
"He started playing with Howard Pulley right after they won the state tournament last year. His body hasn’t had the time to rest and recover.”
Travis has been wearing a boot on his leg, his father says due to simply "tweaking it." However, it appears the injury could have played a major role in the decision.
- Point guard Lourawls Nairn has narrowed his list to three schools: Indiana, Minnesota and Oklahoma. The Hoosiers should be tough competition, but Nairn plans to visit all three, with the Gophers scheduled for August 29-31.
- It has been quite a hectic week on campus. Star 2014 recruits Tyus Jones and Reid Travis and 2015's Eli Thomas and Henry Ellenson all unofficially visited. Rashad Vaughn is expected for an unofficial tomorrow. Thomas talks about Minnesota a little in his blog for USA today, which you can read here.
- Recruit Isaiah Whitehead (the second half of a speculated package deal with Miami-commit Ja'Quan Newton) said told Scout.com that he plans to visit Indiana, UCLA, Syracuse, Arizona and Miami. Minnesota's chances could be fading.
- In case you missed it yesterday, Tyus Jones said he's considering doing an official at Minnesota. Michigan State and Ohio State seem to be fading on the list of favorites.
- Quentin Snider told Scout that he plans to official at UCLA , Memphis and UConn -- but that he might be open for visiting some of the other schools on his list as well.
- JP Macura will be at Creighton tomorrow, for his second official visit. He has also visited Butler.
- Wade Baldwin tweaked his final five list, but kept Minnesota in the mix. After receiving an offer from Florida State, he added the Seminoles and removed Rutgers. Also on the list are Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt.
© 2014 Star Tribune