Recipe: Succotash Sausage Soup
- July 31, 2013 - 1:28 PM
Creamy Summer Succotash Sausage Soup√
Note: Succotash — the combo of corn and lima beans — is a summer favorite side dish for my family. Here it’s made into a hearty meal of soup by adding kielbasa. Want to keep it vegetarian? Just omit the sausage and use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
• 2 tbsp. butter
• 10 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into thin half-rounds
• 2 c. chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 1 or 2 medium)
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 large red bell pepper, cut into small dice
• 3 tbsp. flour
• 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 c. frozen baby lima beans
• 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1 (14 3/4-oz.) can creamed corn
• 1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
• 1/4 c. heavy cream
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, leeks, garlic and red pepper; sauté until vegetables are soft, about 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add broth, lima beans, thyme, salt and pepper and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until lima beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Add creamed corn and corn kernels and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cream and serve hot.
Nutrition information per serving:
Carbohydrates 42 g
Fat 13 g Saturated fat 6 g Sodium 900 mg
Calcium 64 mg
Protein 17 g Cholesterol 46 mg Dietary fiber 6 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 3 bread/starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1½ fat.
© 2016 Star Tribune