Gophers football update: Injuries and the middle linebacker battle
- Blog Post by: Joe Christensen
- July 30, 2013 - 2:17 PM
Gophers coach Jerry Kill held a press conference today, previewing fall camp, which starts Friday. I'll have more for tonight's first editions, but here are a few notables:
* Offensive tackle Jonah Pirsig (knee surgery) is the biggest remaining question mark health-wise, heading into camp. Kill said Pirsig might have to work some individual drills before he'll be ready to go at full speed.
* Defensive lineman Roland Johnson (ACL surgery) will be ready to go. Kill noted that players coming off that surgery sometimes take a while to get used to contact, but Johnson has progressed quickly.
* Freshman linebacker Chris Wipson (ACL surgery), also will be ready to go.
* Redshirt freshman Jack Lynn and junior college transfer Damien Wilson will continue to battle for the starting middle linebacker job. "I thought Damien and Jack Lynn were neck-and-neck for the spring," Kill said. "I think they both did some good things."
© 2016 Star Tribune