Army Pfc. Bradley Manning is escorted to a security vehicle outside a courthouse in Fort Meade, Md., Thursday, July 18, 2013, after a court martial hearing. Col. Denise Lind, the military judge overseeing Manning's trial, refused a defense request to dismiss a charge that Manning aided the enemy by giving reams of classified information to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks. It is the most serious charge he faces, punishable by up to life in prison without parole if found guilty.

Patrick Semansky, Associated Press - Ap

Manning's boss said she suspected he was a spy

  • Article by: Richard A. Serrano
  • Tribune Washington Bureau
  • July 19, 2013 - 7:55 PM


– Long before he was unmasked as the biggest leaker of classified intelligence secrets in U.S. history, Army Pfc. Bradley Manning’s boss, who worked with him inside a small plywood unit near Baghdad, suspected that he might be a spy. Her suspicions and his odd behavior finally culminated late one night in a flash of angry tempers and fisticuffs.

The clues, she testified in his court-martial Friday, were everywhere. He worked long hours, stayed late and kept to himself inside the classified intelligence collection “skiff” called Forward Operating Base Hammer. He inadvertently left his camera lying around. He sometimes slept in a ball in the corner. He smoked heavily and, when it came to hot coffee, he “had excessive caffeine consumption,” recalled Jihrleah Showman, a former Army specialist and Manning’s supervisor.

There were other telltale signs. He complained someone was eavesdropping on his conversations, and “he indicated he was very paranoid,” she said. Once, she said, she pointed to the U.S. flag decal on the shoulder of her Army uniform and he responded that “the flag meant nothing to him and that he did not believe himself to have allegiance to this country or its people.” He told her he joined the Army to earn money for college and to learn more about computers, she said.

She said she told her supervisors that Manning was a “possible spy.”

That led to a clash in the middle of the night in the skiff. Showman said she had been awakened and told to report back to the unit to investigate why Manning was still there.

Once she arrived, they shouted, a table tumbled and he hit her in the face, she said. On the ground, she wrestled him into submission. “He should never had messed with me,” said Showman, who used to play football. “Back then, I had 15-inch biceps.”

Her testimony was part of the government’s final rebuttal case as his court-martial heads next week to closing arguments and a likely verdict.

© 2018 Star Tribune