ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. Dayton won't self-finance like he did in past campaigns

  • Blog Post by: Baird Helgeson
  • June 5, 2013 - 10:52 AM

DFL Gov. Mark Dayton says he will not use his personal fortune to bankroll his re-election campaign the way he did for his previous election efforts.

“I am not going to self-finance to the amounts that I have done in the past,” Dayton said referring to the last governor’s race and his bids for U.S. Senate that drained millions of his personal fortune.

Dayton said his growing list of accomplishments as governor should appeal to those who want to ensure he is able to build on his successes.

“That’s appropriate, I am the incumbent, I have a record,” Dayton said Wednesday. “I think it should be financed by other people because those are the people being served by my administration.”

The governor, a department store heir with unknown wealth, has already ramped up his fundraising schedule and begun to build his campaign infrastructure. He has hired a campaign manager and attended two fundraisers this week, including one hosted by humorist Garrison Keillor. The two events raised more than $30,000, Dayton said.

“I think Minnesota is a better state, especially the last six months, and we will continue to build on that,” Dayton said.

So far, Dayton has already picked up two potential GOP challengers. Orono businessman Scott Honour and Hennepin County Commissioner Jeff Johnson have announced they are vying for the GOP nomination. Several other Republican candidates are eying a run, as well.
 

© 2014 Star Tribune