Staff Sgt. Miguel Deynes prepared the dress uniform of Capt. Aaron Blanchard, an Army pilot killed in Afghanistan, at the Dover Air Force Base. At the Dover Port Mortuary, where the bodies of service members are brought to be prepared for funeral, no detail is too small.

Photos by Ashley Gilbertson • New York Times,

Seats for relatives at the repatriation last month of Capt. Blanchard’s remains at Dover Air Force Base.

Photos by Ashley Gilbertson • New York Times,

Last inspection: The ritual of dressing nation's war dead

  • Article by: JAMES DAO
  • New York Times
  • May 25, 2013 - 9:59 PM

– The soldier bent to his work, careful as a diamond cutter. He carried no weapon or rucksack, just a small plastic ruler, which he used to align a name plate, just so, atop the breast pocket of an Army dress blue jacket, size 39R.

“Blanchard,” the plate read.

Capt. Aaron R. Blanchard, a 32-year-old Army pilot, had been in Afghanistan for only a few days when an enemy rocket killed him and another soldier last month as they dashed toward their helicopter. Now he was heading home.

Before he left the mortuary here, however, he would need to be properly dressed. And so Staff Sgt. Miguel Deynes labored meticulously, almost lovingly, over every crease and fold, every ribbon and badge, of the dress uniform that would clothe Blanchard in his final resting place.

“It’s more than an honor,” Deynes said. “It’s a blessing to dress that soldier for the last time.”

About 6,700 U.S. service members have died in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and nearly every one of their remains have come through the Dover Port Mortuary. Yet only since 2009 have journalists been allowed to photograph coffins returning from the war zones, the most solemn of rites at this air base. The intimate details have been kept from public view.

Recently the Air Force, which oversees the mortuary, allowed a reporter and a photographer to observe the assembling of dress uniforms for those who have died. A small slice of the process, to be sure, but enough to appreciate the careful ritual that attends the war dead of the U.S. military.

And enough to glimpse the arc of two long wars.

Housed in a partly unheated building before the wars began, the mortuary moved into a new 72,000-square-foot building in 2003 after the invasion of Iraq. Then, as the wars expanded, so did the mortuary staff: from seven workers in 2001 to more than 60 today.

War also brought, for a time, unrelenting work. ­During the peak of fighting in Iraq in 2006 and 2007, 10 to 20 ­bodies arrived each day, and embalmers often worked all night to get remains home on time.

“I have deployed to Afghanistan,” said Col. John M. Devillier, commander of Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations, “but I’ve seen more war here.”

Coffins covered with flags

For each of the war dead, the journey through Dover begins with the arrival of a cargo jet that is met by military officials and, usually, family members. A team of service members wearing white gloves carries the coffins, covered with flags, to a white van that takes them to the Armed Forces Medical Examiner. Once an autopsy is completed, the work of the mortuary staff begins.

Remains are first embalmed and then washed. Hands are scrubbed clean, hair is shampooed. Where appropriate, bones are wired together and damaged tissue is reconstructed with flesh-toned wax. Using photographs, or just intuition, the embalmers try to recreate the wrinkles in faces, the lines around mouths, the corners and lids of eyes.

Once the body is ready, the mortuary staff prepares dress uniforms for each, even if the coffin is closed at the funeral with the uniform laid on top of the remains, and even if the body is to be cremated.

Work on Blanchard’s uniform began the morning after his body arrived at Dover, in a room lined with wood closets and walls hung thick with military accouterments. Deynes, guided by the captain’s official military record, began assembling the dozens of badges, medals, unit patches and ­ribbons that would go on the dress jacket.

Bars, ribbons and medals

Purple, orange and gold captains’ bars, denoting an aviator. Purple Heart. Overseas Service Badge. Deynes searched along the walls and in tiny plastic drawers for each. Then he assembled the ribbons denoting the captain’s awards in the proper order according to precedence: a Bronze Star, his highest medal, went on the top, and the others followed like the words on a page.

When finished, he slipped them onto a metal “ribbon rack” and pinned it above the left breast pocket. Then he took a photograph to be sent to Army personnel headquarters at Fort Knox for double checking.

The process has to be “100 percent perfect,” said William Zwicharowski, Dover Port Mortuary branch chief, because “a lot of times, families are in denial and they want to find something that gives them hope that it wasn’t their son or daughter.”

Cpl. Landon L. Beaty, Marine Corps liaison, recalled receiving a hard lesson in uniform assemblage when he first came to the mortuary last year. After inspecting a Marine’s uniform for loose threads, he thought he had found every one — until his boss found 73 more. Beaty voluntarily did three pushups for each missed thread.

Working so intimately with the dead can take a toll, so the mortuary has a large gym and a recreation room where ­workers are encouraged to blow off steam. A team of chaplains and mental health advisers are available for counseling.

Zwicharowski, a former Marine, said many workers were haunted by the youthfulness of the dead, and by the fact that so many leave behind children. He counsels his staff to avoid researching their backgrounds, but he has not always abided by his own advice.

After the Sept. 11 attacks, he read a note placed in the coffin of a boy who died on the jet that crashed into the Pentagon. It was from a brother, thanking the boy for defending him on the playground days before.

“It was something I wish I didn’t do, and I learned my lesson not to do it again,” Zwicharowski said, fighting back tears. “If I knew the story of every individual who went through here, I would probably be in a padded cell.”

Zwicharowski was one of several employees who reported problems at the mortuary several years ago that included workers losing body parts.

According to a report issued in late 2011 by the Office of Special Counsel, a federal agency that handles complaints from whistleblowers, senior mortuary officials tried to cover up the problems and then punished the employees who reported them, including Zwicharowski. Since then, the Air Force has removed those officials, installing Devillier as the commander and promoting Zwicharowski to mortuary chief.

© 2018 Star Tribune