Saturday's prep metro roundup
- May 18, 2013 - 10:51 PM
Totino-Grace boys, Esko girls defend their True Team titles
• TRUE TEAM STATE MEET: Totino-Grace’s boys’ team (Class 2A) and Esko’s girls’ squad (Class 1A) successfully defended their state championships Saturday at Stillwater High School.
Winona Cotter unseated Maple Lake as the boys’ Class 1A champion while Sartell-St. Stephen won the Class 2A girls’ championship.
Totino-Grace had two individual champions in senior Jackson Richards (400-meter dash) and junior Kai Barber (shot put). The Eagles also won the 3,200 relay.
Esko had three individual champions in senior Marisa Shady (400), senior Kallyn Knutson (800) and sophomore Kailee Kiminski (1,600). The Eskomos also won the 3,200 relay.
The individual standout Saturday was Rose Jackson of Willmar. The senior took first place in four events (100, 200, 400 and long jump) in the Class 2A girls’ meet.
Chaska stays hot
• CHASKA 4, BUFFALO 1: Junior Riley Sweeney pitched a four-hitter as the Hawks beat the Bison in nonconference play. Tony Kjolsing, a junior shortstop, drove in three runs for the Hawks. Chaska has won seven of its eight games over a 10-day stretch.
Maple Grove wins
• MAPLE GROVE 2, ELK RIVER 1: Junior Jordan Mauch delivered a run-scoring single with no outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, giving the Crimson a victory over the Elks in the Northwest Suburban. Teammate Breanna Besel hit a solo home run leading off the bottom of the seventh inning, tying it 1-1. Sophomore Samantha Sadler had three hits and scored the winning run for the Crimson. Winning pitcher Sydney Smith threw a complete-game four-hitter with 11 strikeouts.
• COLUMBIA HEIGHTS 9, TRINITY 4: Winning pitcher Lizzy Lentz had three hits and two RBI, leading the Hylanders past the Tri Hawks in the opening round of the Class 1A, Section 4 playoffs. Teammate Kristen Landewehr also had three hits, including a double, and drove in three runs.
• MAPLE GROVE 16, HILL-MURRAY 13: Junior Brittany Throndson scored eight goals as the Crimson outlasted the Pioneers in a nonconference matchup. She also added an assist.
© 2016 Star Tribune