The week ahead in preps
- May 12, 2013 - 11:50 PM
The spring high school sports season is always a bit chaotic, with athletes scrambling to cram in a season’s worth of competition while navigating a maze of rain drops (and this year, snowflakes), tests, proms, graduation ceremonies and a general May malaise.
The first signs that the end is near come this week, in the form of the opening rounds of section playoffs in softball and boys’ tennis and the True Team Track and Field State Meet, which will be held Friday and Saturday at Stillwater High School.
It seems like the season just began and we’re already anticipating its end. Spring sports, we hardly knew ye.
Coming up this week:
Track and Field
• True Team State Meet: Measuring the best teams in terms of overall strength is the purpose of this State Coaches Association-sponsored event, now in its 27th year. The meet is divided into three classes, with nine teams — eight section winners and one wild card — in each. The Class 3A meet kicks off Friday at 4 p.m., with the Class 1A meet starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, followed by Class 2A at 3 p.m.
• Champlin Park at Minnetonka, 3 p.m.
• Benilde-St. Margaret’s at Totino-Grace, 4:15 p.m.
• Burnsville at Lakeville North, 4:15 p.m.
• Coon Rapids at Eden Prairie, 7 p.m.
•Rosemount at Lakeville North (doubleheader), 3 p.m.
• Eastview at Prior Lake, 4:15 p.m.
• Hill-Murray at North St. Paul, 4:15 p.m.
• Maple Grove at Elk River, 4:15 p.m. The Northwest Suburban title is on the line.
• New Life Academy at Irondale, 4:15 p.m.
• Shakopee at Farmington (doubleheader), 3:15 p.m. Will determine the winner of the Missota.
• St. Thomas Academy at Hill-Murray, 7 p.m.
• Eden Prairie at Minnetonka, 5:30 p.m.
• Blake at Lakeville North, 3:30 p.m.
© 2016 Star Tribune