Como's Schiller statue restored
- May 11, 2013 - 3:55 PM
A statue celebrating German writer Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller in Como Park was rededicated Saturday after a recent restoration.
The statue was commissioned by St. Paul’s German-American community and given to the city in 1907. It was made by artist Ignatius Taschner.
St. Paul Parks and Recreation and Public Art St. Paul had the statue restored in 2012 by conservator Kristin Cheronis. The bronze statue was pitted, unstable and streaked with green and blue copper carbonate corrosion. Sulfur deposits, graffiti and carvings also marred the statue, near the Como Park gateway at Lexington Parkway and Estabrook Drive.
The statue was restored from August to October. It was rededicated Saturday with a performance by the Minnesota Chorale and speeches from a number of local officials.
Schiller was a poet, playwright, philosopher and historian.
© 2015 Star Tribune