Wednesday's metro prep roundup
- May 8, 2013 - 11:04 PM
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET’S 6, FRIDLEY 1: Michael McGill went 4-for-4 with a home run and two RBI, leading the Red Knights past the Tigers in a North Suburban Conference matchup. Connor Day was victorious in his first varsity start for Benilde-St. Margaret’s, scattering five hits over six innings.
• ST. PAUL JOHNSON 6, ST. PAUL HARDING 5: Aaron Fitzgerald, a senior first baseman, drove in five runs with two hits as the Governors outlasted the Knights in St. Paul City action. Teammate Jesse Solheid had two hits and scored three runs.
Hard-hitting pitchers power Ponies
• STILLWATER 3-7, EAST RIDGE 0-4: The Ponies pitchers also can hit. In the first game of a Suburban East doubleheader sweep of the Raptors, winning pitcher Hannah Heacox also provided the only offense with a three-run homer. She pitched a two-hit shutout with 11 strikeouts. In the nightcap, Rachel Hartwig belted a home run for Stillwater. She came on in relief to pick up a save.
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 11, BURNSVILLE 5: Outfielder Jessica Meidl hit two home runs and drove in three runs as the Panthers outscored the Blaze in a South Suburban matchup. She finished 3-for-3 on the day.
Delano’s Peters, Orono claim crowns
• WRIGHT COUNTY CONFERENCE: Delano senior Jordan Peters shot a 2-under-par 33 to earn medalist honors in the 10-team meet at the Glencoe Country Club. Orono won the team crown by five strokes.
Kuenster, Forest Lake earn titles
• SUBURBAN EAST CONFERENCE: Two-time Class 3A defending champion Celia Kuenster of Cretin-Derham Hall shot a 1-under-par 71 to win the 10-team event at the Highland National Golf Course in St. Paul. Forest Lake won the team championship by eight strokes.
© 2016 Star Tribune