The week ahead in preps: High schools finally find it's spring
- Article by: JIM PAULSEN
- Star Tribune
- May 6, 2013 - 12:59 AM
OK. Spring 2013 has gone beyond silly, straight past ridiculous and into surreal. It has played out much like a run-of-the-mill horror flick, with a lengthy series of grim, demoralizing days, followed by a sprite of hope-inducing nice weather, only to be shocked back to reality by one last cruel stretch.
It has gotten this far: In little more than a week, the playoffs for boys’ tennis begin. In two weeks, softball and golf are to begin section play. There’s barely been time to get outside and the end is already in sight.
With the understanding that the weather will indeed provide a reprieve this week, here’s a quick rundown of the most notable goings-on in the metropolitan area.
• Cretin-Derham Hall at Mounds View (DH), 3:15 p.m.
• Burnsville at Eastview, 4:15 p.m.
• East Ridge at Forest Lake (DH), 4:15 p.m.
• Tartan at Hill-Murray (DH), 2:30 p.m.; Coon Rapids at Champlin Park, 4:15 p.m.
• Lakeville North at Apple Valley, 4:15 p.m.
• Minnehaha Academy vs. St. Cloud Cathedral (Putz Field), 1 p.m.
• Forest Lake Invitational: At last count, the slate contains 42 varsity teams, peppered with such traditional powers as Eastview, Edina and the host Rangers. At Tanner’s Brook G.C., Forest Lake, 11:30 am
• North St. Paul at Hill-Murray, 4:15 p.m.
• St. Anthony at Visitation, 4:15 p.m.
• Forest Lake at Stillwater, 4:15 p.m.
• Lakeville North at Eastview, 4:15 p.m.
• Maple Grove at Elk River, 4 p.m.; Wayzata at Minnetonka, 4 p.m.
• Edina at Elk River, 9 a.m.
TRACK AND FIELD
• Class 3A Section 7, True Team Meet: While all 24 sections of True Team track and field will be in action this week, hoping to qualify for next week’s True Team State Meet, this meet — featuring traditional powers Hopkins, Minnetonka and Wayzata — is arguably the best of the bunch. At Hopkins, 1:30 p.m.
© 2015 Star Tribune