Chart: David Kahn, the good and the bad
- May 3, 2013 - 12:20 AM
David Kahn: The good and the bad
• Lured Rick Adelman to become head coach before the 2011-12 season, and the veteran coach provided stability to the woebegone franchise.
• Drafted Ricky Rubio with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft. Rubio has given the team a playmaking point guard and matinee idol.
• Additions of Andrei Kirilenko, Chase Budinger, Brandon Roy, Dante Cunningham and Alexy Shved before last season looked promising, before a string of injuries sent team reeling.
• Hiring of Kurt Rambis to replace Kevin McHale as coach resulted in a 32-132 two-year record for Rambis
• Too many failed high first-round picks, including Jonny Flynn (sixth overall in 2009, selected ahead of budding superstar Stephen Curry), and Wes Johnson (fourth overall, 2010); verdict still out on Derrick Williams, the No. 2 overall pick in 2011.
• Traded Al Jefferson (to Utah) and Corey Brewer (to Denver) without getting comparable value in return; also traded draft pick Ty Lawson, who has averaged more than 16 points each of past two years.
© 2014 Star Tribune