Man dies of possible methadone overdose in Newport apartment
- March 30, 2013 - 6:58 PM
A 32-year-old man died Saturday morning after reportedly overdosing on a prescription drug in a Newport apartment, according to police.
Police responded to an apartment complex about 1:40 a.m. at 1624 10th Av. on a report that a man had overdosed on methadone, which is used to treat drug addiction and relieve pain. The man was transported to Regions Hospital in St. Paul, where he was later pronounced dead.
A 42-year-old woman was taken into custody for possible murder charges in connection with the man’s death, police said.
The Washington County Sheriff’s Office Coordinated Narcotics Task Force and investigation division is assisting with the investigation. No other information was immediately available.
An Oakdale woman was charged with third-degree murder in a similar Washington County case in January. Emily Katherine Frye, 21, allegedly sold methadone to a Scandia man who was found dead in his bedroom in August after telling a friend that he “went overboard” on pills.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about a third of prescription painkiller overdose deaths in the United States involve methadone.
© 2017 Star Tribune