Rayno: Smart, Hoiberg out but search for Gophers coach not dry
- Blog Post by: Amelia Rayno
- March 28, 2013 - 10:41 PM
Two candidates named in two days. Two extensions with the original programs immediately following.
We are three days into the coaching search to replace Tubby Smith and we still have no major news, although there have been two significant letdowns for fans.
Yesterday, we ruled out for good that Shaka Smart – the No. 1 choice for Minnesota – for good after he agreed to an extension at VCU. Today, after a report that athletic director Norwood Teague had offered Fred Hoiberg surfaced, it was squashed a few hours later by the announcement of Hoiberg signing an extension at Iowa State.
To be fair, I never thought the Gophers had a very good chance with either Smart or Hoiberg. Smart has turned down all sorts of schools and money, and Hoiberg – who seems poised to go to the NBA if he wants – is from Ames and is actually called “The Mayor” there. Both seemed pretty happy where they were, and they confirmed that through extensions.
That said, to use a metaphors, there’s nothing wrong with shaking the tree to see if anything falls out. Why not talk to those guys first? Any Gophers fans with feelings of panic – as I am getting in my Twitter interactions – don’t understand the depth of this administration’s network.
It is most certainly not time to be worried.
Here’s a recap of what went on today:
First of all, here’s my story for tomorrow’s paper. While decisions are coming rapidly within the Gophers front office right now, the most meaningful decision might have come a decade ago in a Virginia office.
Also, in case you missed it, today’s aMAILia BAG: the coaching search edition.
- Athletic director Norwood Teague reached out to Fred Hoiberg, per 1500-a.m.’s Darren Wolfson, who originally reported the move. The Ames Tribune quickly confirmed. Then Gopher Nation was crushed once more. However, the Des Moines Register later reported that talks of an offer by Minnesota were not true.
- Anthony Grant was in Atlanta today, recruiting. Though Grant’s name has been thrown around, he’s pretty much fallen from the bubble.
- Texas Tech has reached out to Tubby Smith, ESPN reported. Then Aaron Dickens from RedRaiderSports.com reported that Smith and his wife, Donna, are currently in Lubbock, Texas.
- I am not doing any Minnesota radio right now due to the nature of the ongoing breaking news story, but I will be on Lubbock radio (1043 KTTU-FM) tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. to talk Team Tubby and the move.
Sources tell RRS that Tubby Smith and his wife are currently in Lubbock and that he is the "front-runner" for #TexasTech's MBB position.— Aaron Dickens (@AaronDickens) March 29, 2013
- What else is going on? Well, reportedly Gophers recruit Alvin Ellis is considering attempting to get out of his letter of intent with the Gophers. Chicago Hoops reported this – and I have not been able to confirm this. According to that article Ellis has not heard from the Gophers since Teague fired Smith. That doesn’t surprise me, however, considering there are no assistants left on the staff, and the administration is in full search mode.
© 2015 Star Tribune