Get the look: Use waterproof eyeliner and smudge bold shadow directly over it for long-lasting color.
New looks for lips and eyes
- Article by: Doreen Christensen Sun Sentinel
- March 27, 2013 - 5:06 PM
Matte is where it’s at this spring. The season’s freshest makeup trends are shine-free looks for lips and eyes, but with soft and bold colors that will transition beautifully into summer.
“The matte lip and eye trend is going to stick around, so it’s time to update and get rid of that frost,” says Jessica Rivero, a makeup artist and owner of Kiss & Tell Pro Cosmetics, a Miami-based beautician agency.
Bright hues in blues, greens and purple are all the rage for eyes, and anyone — young and old — can wear them. Try using them as accents, then smudging them into the lash line.
Another trend to try: Matchy-matchy eyes, lips and nails.
Matching fuchsia lips and nails is a no-brainer, but doing so with the year’s hottest hues of electric green, purple and blue nails can be a challenge.
“Add a hint of bold shadow that exactly matches your nail color,” says Fort Lauderdale beauty expert and makeup artist Jennifer Bradley. “Apply a small amount of black eyeliner around the edges of the eye. Grab a smudge brush, dip it in the bold shadow and smudge it directly over the black eyeliner. If you use a waterproof black pencil, the bright color should stick to the eyeliner and stay all day.”
Bradley advises women to prime first with a serum, follow with a moisturizer, then add foundation. “Wear a lightweight, oil-free foundation and set your makeup with a bronzer. Your skin will glow.”
Here are some products to consider adding to your makeup bag:
• Make Up For Ever’s Technicolor Palette, $45, at Sephora stores and Sephora.com. The slim palette features highly saturated shades of yellow, green, blue, peach, purple, white and brown, as well as two long-handled brushes, including one that’s perfect for smudging at the lash line.
• Aerin’s Garden Collection Lipstick in Garden Path, $30 at Neiman Marcus and Aerin.com. This barely-there lipstick balances bright pops of color on eyes and nails.
• Estee Lauder’s Pretty Naughty Five Color EyeShadow Palette, $48 in department stores or EsteeLauder.com. This palette offers shades that blend easily.
• Pair strong colors with L’Oreal’s Colour Riche Nail Color, $5.99 in drugstores, in bright-blue, green or yellow.
• Top it all off with Prestige Cosmetics My Blackest Lashes Intense Black Volume Mascara, $6.99 at Ulta Beauty stores and PrestigeCosmetics.com. The big brush delivers clump-free volume in a smudge-free formula that won’t break the bank.
• The limited-edition Poudre Signee de Chanel Illuminating Powder, $68 at Chanel counters and Chanel.com, is a radiant blend of peach and beige. Sweep over foundation with a brush, or use the included sponge applicator.
© 2014 Star Tribune