Suit seeks $500,000, alleging excessive force by Brooklyn Park police officer in 2012 incident
- March 14, 2013 - 8:28 PM
A Brooklyn Park man has filed a federal excessive-force lawsuit against a police officer in that city, saying the officer slammed his head to the floor last year, slashing his forehead and causing a concussion.
Amos Togbeson Jr. is seeking more than $500,000 in damages, claiming his civil rights were violated by officer Michael Wrobel, who arrested him on April 8, 2012, after a traffic stop just before 11 p.m. Togbeson was driven to the police headquarters after officers determined he was under the influence of alcohol.
The suit says that the officer ignored Togbeson’s request to be allowed to urinate and that Togbeson relieved himself on the floor of the vestibule in which he was being held. When Togbeson stumbled, Wrobel became angry and “slammed” him into the wall, the suit alleges.
When a detention deputy entered the room, Wrobel told the deputy to “watch out,” then slammed Togbeson, whose hands were cuffed behind his back, “violently and unconstitutionally” to the ground, the suit says.
Wrobel said he slipped on urine and unintentionally brought Togbeson to the floor. But the suit said video shows the officer “violently pile-driving” Togbeson. The plaintiff was treated for a jagged cut on his forehead that required 13 stitches, the lawsuit said, adding that he has scarring as well as dizziness from “post-concussive syndrome.”
Togbeson seeks $6,017 in medical costs and at least $250,000 for physical and emotional injuries plus at least $250,000 in punitive damages.
A police spokesman said the department doesn’t comment on pending lawsuits.
© 2015 Star Tribune