Three charged in string of burglaries, shootings in Minneapolis

  • March 4, 2013 - 8:57 PM

Three men are charged with several felonies in a yearlong string of shootings and burglaries allegedly linked to their “Loud Pack” gang.

Dementry Loyd, 19, and brothers Montrelle Collins, 20 and Marlon Collins, 21, are charged in Hennepin County District Court with burglary, assault and theft in connection with a spree documented as early as one year ago.

According to charges, Loyd burglarized a south Minneapolis home in March 2012, making off with a TV, laptop, gold ring, iPhone and credit card. Later that evening, authorities say, he broke into a house not far away. Last November, he allegedly kicked in a door of another south Minneapolis home, stealing a TV, laptops, iPad and two handguns.

The next day, the homeowner used the tracker on the iPad that led to a north Minneapolis apartment. There, police found Loyd carrying the iPad, and other stolen items. During a traffic stop last month, police seized a stolen handgun from Loyd. Police also found a stolen loaded handgun under the mattress of a baby’s crib when they searched a house where the Collins brothers lived with their mother in north Minneapolis. Property seized from the three men’s addresses appears to be linked to other burglaries, prosecutors allege.

The three are also charged in connection with two shootings late last year. In one of the cases, prosecutors say the three were in front of a house where a woman was standing with her children. When she asked if there was a problem, they walked away before pulling out handguns. Charges say the woman ran into the house with her children as they fired shots at her. The men ran away yelling “Loud Pack.”

Marlon Collins was also charged with second-degree riot for allegedly firing 13 times at a north Minneapolis house in September 2011.

Loyd was freed from the Hennepin County jail Feb. 28 after posting $150,000 bond. Marlon Collins remains behind bars in lieu of $300,000 bail. Montrelle Collins is jailed in lieu of $210,000 bail. All three are scheduled to appear in court later this month.


© 2018 Star Tribune