WCHA roundup: Tech denies St. Cloud State's bid to clinch title
- March 3, 2013 - 12:15 AM
• MICHIGAN TECH 5, ST. CLOUD STATE 1: Tanner Kero scored 28 seconds into the game, and Michigan Tech added two more goals by the 4:23 mark of the first period on the way to a victory over St. Cloud State on Friday night at the National Hockey Center. The loss prevented St. Cloud from clinching at least a share of the WCHA regular-season title. The first-place Huskies hold a two-point lead over the Gophers and North Dakota with two games remaining. Tech held St. Cloud scoreless until Jimmy Murray's goal at 17:16 of the third period.
• NORTH DAKOTA 2, BEMIDJI STATE 2: Jordan Schmaltz scored a power-play goal at 8:37 of the third period, and host North Dakota held on for a tie. The Beavers led 1-0 and 2-1 on goals by Phil Brewer and Danny Mattson. Mitch MacMillan also scored for UND.
• WISCONSIN 6, NEBRASKA OMAHA 2: Michael Mersch had two goals and two assists as the visiting Badgers kept alive their faint WCHA title hopes and ended those of the Mavericks. Tyler Barnes and Mark Zengerle each had a goal and two assists for Wisconsin, which is host to St. Cloud State next weekend and trails the Huskies by four points.
• MSU MANKATO 7, COLORADO COLLEGE 2: Matt Leitner's hat trick led a five-goal second period as the Mavericks beat the host Tigers. MSU moved into a fourth-place tie.
• MINNESOTA DULUTH 4, ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE 0: Austin Farley had a goal and two assists, and Aaron Crandall made 23 saves for the shutout for the host Bulldogs.
STAFF, NEWS SERVICES
© 2016 Star Tribune