Kirilenko out tonight vs. Lakers in L.A.
- Blog Post by: Jerry Zgoda
- February 28, 2013 - 3:58 PM
The Wolves will play on tonight in Los Angeles against the Lakers without Andrei Kirilenko.
He's out with that strained calf sustained in Tuesday's 84-83 overtime loss at Phoenix.
This injury follows those back spasms in November and a strained quad just before the All-Star break. Add 'em all together and Kirilenko says if this were Russia, he'd probably go to church and light a candle for himself.
What the heck, it couldn't hurt for this Wolves team, could it?
His absence proves particularly troublesome tonight because it leaves Rick Adelman without one more option to defend Kobe Bryant, who is both scoring (35.7 ppg) and distributing (6.7 assists).
Now he'll have to depend on Mickael Gelabale or ask Alexey Shved or Luke Ridnour to defend him.
A couple other things following this morning's shootaround at the Clippers practice facility:
* Brandon Roy says he plans to sit behind the bench for Saturday's game at Portland, his first return to the arena where he played his first five NBA seasons.
"I don't know how I feel because I'm not playing," he said. "It'll be different."
* Derrick Williams might not be a changed man coming back home to L.A. this time, but he is different.
He is averaging 18.8 points and 10.6 rebounds in his last five games and has earned enough trust from Rick Adelman that Adelman designed Tuesday's final play with him in mind (it was drawn up with options for both Williams and Shved, who got to the basket but missed the game-winning shot.)
"Just more confidence," Williams said.
* Tonight's game is the last of three TNT appearances for the Wolves. Marv Albert, Mike Fratello and Craig Sager will work the telecast.
© 2016 Star Tribune