RandBall: Huge weekend for Gophers
- Blog Post by: Michael Rand
- February 25, 2013 - 10:46 AM
Just an FYI, first: Our blog publication schedule might be a little convoluted this week because we are going through some
sensitivity computer training because of constant office problems software upgrades here. Yeah, computer training. So bear with us the next few days.
Now the content: In case you were too busy researching Tubby Smith's buyout or generally grousing about other U of M sports this weekend, three programs that stray a little from the spotlight had huge performances.
1) Gophers women's hockey finished an UNDEFEATED regular season with a sweep at St. Cloud State. Minnesota is 34-0 heading into the playoffs. And if they keep winning, every single playoff game (WCHA and NCAA) will be at Ridder Arena. So you will have no excuse to miss checking out, at least once, what could be an historic season.
2) The Gophers wrestling team won the National Duals title at Williams Arena, defeating Iowa and Oklahoma State -- two teams Minnesota lost to earlier in the season -- in the process. Minnesota seems to be peaking at the right time, with the NCAA meet coming up next month.
3) Nearby at the U of M Aquatic Center, the Gophers women's swimming and diving team was a runaway winner of its second consecutive Big Ten title.
Minnesota's big game against No. 1 Indiana in men's hoops is still more than 24 hours away. So for now, if you root for the maroon and gold, revel in the weekend success.
© 2016 Star Tribune