U tops W. Michigan in baseball; Moulton throws no-hitter
- Article by: NEWS SERVICES
- February 25, 2013 - 12:20 AM
The Gophers baseball team scored five runs in the seventh inning and took a 9-2 victory Sunday over Western Michigan at the Metrodome. With the victory, they took three of the four games and improve to 4-3 on the season.
Jordan Jess collected his first victory of the year when he went a career-high six innings. Jess also established a career high with seven strikeouts, allowed one run and walked one.
Kevin Kray finished the game and picked up the save. He gave up one run on two hits with five strikeouts.
Troy Larson led Gophers hitters by goin 3-for-4 with two doubles and scored two runs.Moulton throws no-hitter, gets softball team to .500
Junior righthander Sara Moulton threw a no-hitter with 12 strikeouts and sophomore shortstop Tyler Walker went 2-for-3 with a solo home run, as the Gophers softball team (7-7) wrapped up its appearance at the Spring Break Invitational in Fort Myers, Fla., with a 1-0 victory over Albany.
Moulton improved to 7-4 by completing a dominating weekend. She went 4-0 with a 0.71 ERA in 29 2/3 innings pitched, striking out 42 batters with just seven walks, and limiting opposing batters to eight hits and a .085 average.Gophers gymnastics
• The Gophers men beat Illinois-Chicago 419.200 to 409.600 on the road, posting wins on the floor exercise, still rings and parallel bars.
• Gophers freshman Lindsay Mable won three events and sophomore Jenny Covers captured the all-around title, but the Gophers women's gymnastics team dropped its second meet of the season, 195.550 to 195.025 at Iowa State's Hilton Coliseum.U sweeps in women's tennis
• The Gophers women's tennis team opened Big Ten play with a doubles-singles sweep over Wisconsin. The Gophers won all six singles matches and two of three doubles matches.
© 2013 Star Tribune